This guide is almost certainly out of date as it was created for the 1.x release of Final Fantasy XIV. Its recommendations might not apply to Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn.
LAPS's Guide to Depantsing Crafting
This is a guide for Beginners and Master Craftsman alike. This guide will cover Tips and focused information to level a Disciples of the Hand job in Gridania, Limsa Lominsa, and Ul'dah. This guide will expand upon basic knowledge and guidance through Synthesis and Local levequests acquired from any Adventurer Guild.
To view a Guide for Beginners, please refer to my first guide: Guide:Crafting Basics by Qinsakura.
"One woman's trash is another woman's treasure!"
-- Tavernkeeper of The Quicksand Momodi
CAUTION PLEASE READ!
Please be advised that this is a work in progress! This section will indicate any updates to the core guide as necessary to point out.
- PLEASE do not REMOVE tips, advice, and any other information from this guide. If information on this guide contributed by Q or another Contributor is in error, please post your reason for removal in the DISCUSSION page above.
- PLEASE add requested subject matter/ Topics, desired specific information, and questions in the DISCUSSION tab above.
Bookmark & Check Back Often!
- Added SE DEV changes to Synthesis as found on Lodestone.
- Added High Quality Item & Material information.
Qinsakura Kayne is a player on the Kashuan server of Final Fantasy XIV. Her linkshell, Knights of Chronica, is a group of crafters and battle types working together as a company to protect travelers, secure merchant lines, and support the local economies. In character, she is the Founder of LAPS- lords and Ladies Against PantS. This movement was created to enlighten characters about the dangers of pants while crafting. This guide was created to help new players and those unfamiliar with the current Synthesis system. Enjoy!
- Reading about your craft is key to cutting out time and failed effort.
- Remember to buy your Main Hand Tool for the Disciples of the Hand job you want to use.
- While many recipes can be done with only the Main Hand Tool, Off Hand Tools add favorable attributes and bonus recipes.
- Consider the item being created. Orange Juice is not successfully made in a Bronze Skillet. Turning a Sheepskin into Sheep Leather is made easiest with a sharp Darksilver Head Knife.
There are Three (3) Attributes which are directly related to the Crafting Jobs. These Attributes are raised by Gear and Tool bonuses.
- Craftsmanship: Believed to increase the rate of gained Durability and Quality on successful Synthesis Actions attempts.
- Magic Craftsmanship: Believed to aid in stability of an item in creation to increase the gain of Durability and Quality with successful Synthesis Action attempts
- Control: Believed to increase the rate of successful Synthesis.
- Not to be confused with the three Gathering Class Attributes: Gathering, Output, and Perception.
- Synergy may be possible with other attributes.
Skill & Experience Points
You can set up automated commands by using the Configuration Menu in game.
- Attributes & Gear Macros
- Main Hand change: /equip main "Weathered Alembic" Main
- Off Hand change: /equip sub "Bronze Mortar" Sub
- Armor change: /equip body "Canvas Robe (Pink)"
- Empty gear slot: /equip legs
- "Note that this will not work on the Main Hand, Undershirt, or Undergarment slots."
- Items with +1,+2, etc in the name can not be specifically accessed by Macro. If you only have a Bronze Alembic +1, the macro /equip "Bronze alembic" will equip your +1 item.
- Actions & Abilities Macros
- Action Bar changes: /equipaction 4 "Action" main
- Can be done for Action bar slots 1 through 30. 1st level bar is 1-10, 2nd is 11-20, 3rd is 21-30. (Default actions, such as Stone Throw must be moved to a different empty slot before you can macro anything else to the slot currently possessed by said default action).
- Abilities are added in the Actions & Abilities Menu and do not need to be on an Action bar.
- Abilities appear randomly throughout a Synthesis.
Main or Off Hand Tools
- Tool Choice is important to the outcome of a successful Synthesis.
- SE on item creation variables: "Main hand and off hand tools have varying characteristics which manifest themselves in different ways when a high-quality result is achieved while synthesizing. There are many possible outcomes. For instance, a successful synthesis with a main hand tool may result in a +1 or +2 item, while the result obtained with an off hand tool may be a higher yield of regular quality items."
- Recipes have preferred tools to be created with.
- You will find Synthesis Actions succeed more often when using the preferred tool.
- Check Item descriptions when choosing recipes to get hints at which tool to choose.
- Some recipes are only available to one tool. If you do not see your desired recipe, press Back and try the other tool.
Clothing & Accessories
Skill Support allows you to craft items with less chance of botching the synthesis. It is also required in some Recipes for production.
- Three Types of Support are offered at each Guild.
- Common: Lowest level of support. This can be accessed beginning at 150G.
- Guild: Middle Level support used for many end production item creation. Support starts at 200G.
- Master: Highest Level of support for high rank end production item creation. Support starts at 1000G.
- This skill support is also available at Camps through a leve NPC.
- Common support can also be accessed by the Repair NPC in each City. See Below: Market NPC Repairs
- (Must have desired job equip when activating support from a non-guild NPC.)
Guild Training & Marks
NPCs within each guild offer books of "Required Training" and Abilities / Synthesis Actions. The currency used for these items are in the form of Guild Marks.
- Guild Marks: Currency given for successful guildleves. These become available for Rank 20 class jobs and higher.
- You can view the number of marks you possess in the Currency Menu.
- Guild Training: Books offered by the each guild that can be purchased for Guild Marks. The books teach a character an Ability or Action that is beneficial to that job.
- The first level of books begin at a price of 5,000 Guild Mark and scale from there.
- Guild Mark Merchants: These NPCs sell items and training in exchange for Guild Marks.
Local levequests are the bread and butter of gaining ranks in Diciplines of the Hand. These leves will help you understand the method of crafting, and give you preloaded recipes and materials. There are three Adventurer's Guilds, each within one of the starting city-states. In each of these guilds, there is a desk with bright lights around it. Behind the desk, you will find two NPCs. One is a Regional Guildleve Master and the other is a Local Guildleve Master. Pick up to 8 local leves in the desired classes.
- Like Regional levelquests, you may do up to 8 leves every 36 hours.
- There is no official tutorial leve for any craft job, unlike Battle and Gathering jobs.
- Keep track of locations and NPCs listed in the leves.
- The NPC listed for delivery will be the NPC to supply you with materials and recipes.
- It can be faster to do multiple DOH jobs' leves at a single location.
- Failure is a great option because failed local leves can be turned into the delivery NPC for a SECOND try! You will get a second set of materials for free.
- You may only retry a local leve once.
- Don't Stop just because you have completed the leve. If you have remaining material sets, KEEP CRAFTING! You will earn skill points and physical level points for free!
- Local Levequest NPCs can be found at these locations.
- You do not have to have a DOH job equip at that time.
High Quality Items
High Quality items are items with bonuses to Attributes and other Stat scores. End product items created as high-quality are labeled +1, +2, +3. Refined items and intermediate level items made as high-quality often create larger product yields.
- HQ Attribute scores are denoted differently than Final Fantasy XI.
- A Silver Star next to an attribute denotes an extra +1 on top of the bonus to that attribute listed as a numerical number.
- A +2 item will have more starred Attributes bonuses than a +1 item.
- Synthesis Action Strategies as quoted from SE Developer FAQ.
- "Synthesis actions carried out while the colored circle graphic is red suffer a reduced rate of success, they often serve to increase the quality of the synthesis."
- "In addition, the successful execution of consecutive actions also serves to increase quality."
- Touch Up is an action sometimes offered on the Finish Menu of Synthesis.
- Normal Quality (NQ) items can be Touched Up several times to attempt to reach a Quality score high enough to add a +1.
- High Quality items created with a +1 already can often be Touched Up to gain a +2 label.
Retainers & Bazaars
- Currently, there is no Auction House included in the game. Bazaars and Retainers are the only methods of selling your goods to other players on your server.
A Retainer is an NPC with whom players can leave items. The retainer can act as item storage, with an inventory capacity of 80 items. It can also act as a personal bazaar, allowing players to sell those items to other players, even while logged out--up to ten stacks may be listed for sale at a time.
- At game launch that only one retainer is available per playable character, but in the future, multiple retainers will be able to be hired.
- Renting a Retainer is an easy task performed at each of the three City-States inside the bar at the Adventurers' Guild.
A Bazaar is a player's personal Vendor associated with the Inventory Menu. Players may choose up to 10 items (which can be traded) and set selling prices for them. These items are taken out of your Inventory total. A small brown sack icon appears next to a Character name when a Bazaar is active.
- Need Space? List things for a selling price to make an extra spot for new items.
- Items in a player's Bazaar can only be sold while the Character is In-Game.
High Quality Materials
Materials labeled with +1, +2, and +3 are high-quality items preferred in recipes to create High-Quality Items. Those these materials do not normally have Attribute score bonuses, some used for Culinarian can be used "raw" to increase player scores for a limited duration.
- Using +1, +2, +3 Materials increases the Durability and Quality scores that a Synthesis begins with.
- SE: "These values represent bonuses applied to the durability and quality of a synthesis when it is first begun. Unlike increases to quality made during the crafting process, this initial bonus has no bearing on the degree of difficulty of the synthesis."
- HQ Item Creation: "Such bonus materials therefore increase a player's chances at synthesizing high-quality items, without increasing the difficulty of the synthesis."
- More Instability when using HQ material items in recipes.
- HQ Materials seem to have an increased rate to change the orb to unfavorable colours (Red or Sparking) when an Action is failed.
- When using HQ materials, refrain for using Rapid Synthesis more than once if multiple failure occurs.
- Rapid Synthesis on a Red Orb has a small chance for successful Quality gain.
Every item that can be equipped, will be damaged with use. The damage to the Durability score of an item reduces it's effectiveness and the Attributes score bonus it gives. There are two ways to repair your items.
These NPCs perform repairs on your equipped gear only. They can only repair items up to 75%.
- They also offer Synthesis Support specific to the job you have equipped. This is accessed through the choice "Perform your own Repairs."
Players may also choose to repair their own items. Each item requires a certain minimum rank in the associated job class. (Example: Weavers mend Cloth gear.)
- Earn Skill Points for performing your own repairs on yourself and others.
- The skill points gained are small, but if you have a large linkshell, you may always find demand!
- Repair to 100% Durability is only available for items repaired by other players.
- Having 100% over 75% makes a big difference to your Attributes bonuses.
- Remember the material used for each repair. When a player repairs an item, a specific material is needed beyond Job Rank requirements.
- You can access this specific item need by looking at the item in your Inventory menu.
The Synthesis Menu can be accessed when your character has a Disciples of the Hand job Tool equipped in the Main Hand gear slot. In the Main Menu (in game) the Interaction "Synthesis" will appear in the top menu.
- Timer: Exactly what it says. If the timer runs out, you fail, losing durability and gaining no progress. You are to choose one of four Synthesis Actions (Listed below).
- Certain wisebeards have said that there is a sweet spot on the timer line fore each job. I have found that timing my action to stop between the "es" of Standard Synthesis does give me a large progress when successful.
- Progress Bar: Percent of progression until completion. Obviously, you want to reach 100%.
- Durability: A score that determines the stability of the item in creation. When it hits 0 you fail, even if you reach 100% on your Progress Bar.
- Quality: I believe this will function in two ways.
- It will determine the amount of skill points you will receive for a finished product.
- It will also be a factor to determine HQ items and larger yields. So, you are shooting for the highest score possible.
- Quality can be increased when using the Touch Up Action in the Finish Menu.
- SE: "Synthesis actions carried out while the colored circle graphic is red suffer a reduced rate of success, they often serve to increase the quality of the synthesis."
The Synthesis Creation/function Menu displays your choice of 4 Basic Synthesis Actions each round.
- Standard Synthesis: This action takes a balanced approach, raising progress and quality at an average rate, with an average decrease to durability.
- This should be used most often to ensure low loss of Durability and Quality.
- Safest bet for steady Progress gain and low Durability loss.
- Rapid Synthesis: This action focuses on completing a synthesis as quickly as possible, raising progress very fast with minor impact to durability but quality increases minimally if at all. A failed attempt at this may even decrease quality along with durability.
- This should be used when the item is most stable and a White Orb is glowing.
- Try using Rapid on a non-Red Orb after reaching more than 32% for large progress gain and possible Ability appearance.
- Do Not attempt to start your Synthesis using Rapid. Since Synthesis action Update, this can cause large losses.
- SE: "As a result of an adjustment made to the basic synthesis actions, using "Rapid" commands will incur a higher loss of durability and using "Standard" commands will incur a lower loss of durability."
- Careful Synthesis: This action focuses on raising quality, causing it to increase greatly, advancing progress slowly and little if no faster than the rate of durability loss, making it risky as heavy use of this will increase the likelihood of failure, though the resulting product will be better if this action succeeds enough. A failed Careful synthesis can significantly decrease durability.
- This should be used near the completion of your Progress bar to attempt to make a High Quality item.
- Using the action can also be used to attempt to regain enough Durability to complete an almost failed ("Botched") Synthesis. However, it is not a solid method for success.
- Wait: Takes no action, very slightly decreasing durability while giving an opportunity for the elemental conditions to improve- unstable elements can increase the rate of action failure. Using this Action repeatedly will cause the durability impact to get worse. Using the Wait command can cause the color of the light being emitted from the synthesis to change.
- This should be used after a failed attempt has caused your item orb to turn Red or show unstable Colour Changing. This can often change the orb into a more favorable colour.
- Do not use Wait more than twice in a row. It can cause continuous failures and exponential Durability and Quality loss. If the orb remains red, use Standard Synthesis. (Risk takers often try a Rapid Synthesis because Quality may be gained on a successful Red Orb Rapid.
When you have reached 100% Progress with an item, a new Finishing Menu appears. This menu will always have the Finish action, but will in some cases have a Touch Up action.
- Finish: This is the action to finish Synthesis. This appears in the menu for every successfully created item.
- Touch Up: This action does not appear with every synthesized item. Choosing this option will lower the Durability by a few points each time in exchange for a Quality increase. Depending on your durability score, Use with Caution!
- This option can create an High Quality (HQ +1, +2, +3) item from a Normal Quality at 100% completion. After you are finished using Touch Up, chose the Finish (Action). Touch up does not guarantee an increase to Quality. However, repetitive use can increase Quality enough to upgrade the item's High-Quality status.
Each Disciples of the Hand job is given a series of abilities to use while in Synthesis. These actions are learned once every 5 Ranks starting at Rank 10.
- Please read, denote, and understand the descriptions of each action. Synthesis is common sense.
- Use during Synthesis as you create your items.
- The Abilities available to you can be accessed in the Actions and Abilities Menu. Place them on the Abilities bar to make them available during Synthesis.
- Not selecting an Ability the first time it appears during Synthesis will ensure it appears again later.