Borderland Ruins (Secure)
|Frontline is a PvP duty wherein the main goal is to defeat opposing players, capture control points, and defeat Interceptor Drones to accumulate a "Tactical Rating" of 1000/1200/1600 (depending on team size) for your team before the other teams accomplish the same.
When you enter the Carteneau Flats, you will appear in your Grand Company's staging area. You will have 2 minutes to strategize and prepare. While in your staging area, you can cast buffs, mount, or change jobs/classes. There are no role requirements for teams, so you can change at will while in the staging area.
After the prep time is over, the battle begins. Once you leave the staging area, you can not return unless you are KO'd. The battle has a time limit of 30 minutes.
Located around the area are several control points, marked with a circle on the ground and a flag:
Depending on the number of players, not all of the control points may be used. By standing within the circle, you can capture that control point for your team- However, to capture the location your team must have more allies within the circle than enemies. A gauge appears in the duty list to show the status of a control point while you are standing within it. Points controlled by the enemy must be first neutralized, then captured by your team. The more players you have within the circle than your opponents, the faster the location will be captured.
Capturing a location earns you Tactical Rating points. Additionally, Every 3 seconds, your team's Tactical Rating increases for each location your team controls. The more locations controlled, the greater the benefit:
|Locations Held||Tactical rating per 3 sec|
Additionally, the following actions will also earn Tactical Rating for your team:
|Action||Tactical rating points|
|Defeating Interceptor Drones||20|
|Defeating the Interceptor Node||200|
A group of 6 Interceptor Drones periodically spawn on top of the bluff in the center of the area, starting three minutes after the match starts, and roughly every 3 minutes after that, and are accompanied by an announcement when they appear: "The Heliodrome's matter displacer has been activated!" The Interceptor Node appears in the center of the area about 8 minutes in, and an announcement also marks its arrival. the Interceptor Drones are not especially strong, but the Interceptor Node will require at least a few players to defeat, due to the significant damage it periodically deals to all players near it.
Victory Conditions and Rewards
Once one team reaches the target Tactical Rating, the match ends. The team reaching the target first will be declared the victor, with the two other teams ranked according to their ending Tactical Rating. PvP Experience and Wolf Marks will be earned based both on your participation and your team's rank at the end, with the 2nd place team earning approximately 2/3 the rewards of the 1st place team, and the 3rd place team earning approximately 1/3 of the 1st place team's reward.
The base rewards are as follows (PvP EXP and wolf marks may vary depending on your contribution)
special mounts- Storm Warsteed, Flame Warsteed, Serpent Warsteed can be earned by completing the Line in the Storm IV, Line in the Sand IV, and/or Line in the Glade IV achievements (100 wins with the respective Grand Company).
Frontline follows most of the general PvP rules as outlined in Category:Player Versus Player, with the following additions and exceptions:
- Due to the Item Level Sync imposed on the area, neither Morale nor bonuses from Materia are functional on the Frontline.
- Unlike in The Wolves' Den, mounts can be summoned and ridden on the Frontline. However, any direct damage has a 100% chance of inflicting the Heavy effect.
- Each Full Party is capable of performing level 2 Limit Break abilities.
- The Limit Break gauge will gradually increase while one or more party members are in combat, and will gradually decrease (at a faster rate) if the entire party is out of combat for a period of time. Be aware that caster limit breaks will show a ground area-of-effect indicator to the other team.
- Unlike the Wolves' Den you are able to Return when incapacitated. When you are KO'd, you will have to wait for a period of time before you can use Return. Each time you do this, the wait time the next time you are KO'd will be increased. This can be avoided by accepting a Raise or Ressurect spell instead of returning.
- Say, Shout, and Yell can be used within the area, however they will only be heard by members of your team. Alliance chat can also be used if there are more than 8 players on each team.