- While enjoying a day like any other in Kugane, you are approached by a strange Lalafell smelling faintly of cheese. Said Lalafell entreats you, a fellow Eorzean doubtless gifted in the ways of violence, to enter the nearby Shiokaze Hostelry and search for a Miqo'te maiden in need of assistance.
- The maiden turns out to be none other than Nashu Mhakaracca, the redoubtable assistant of Hildibrand Helidor Maximilian Manderville, agent of enquiry, inspector extraordinaire. She is come to Kugane in search of her missing mentor, last seen hurtling through the heavens towards the Far East, and was mere moments away from accepting the assistance of another familiar face: Gyodo, the conniving trickster who attempted to betray you to the Garleans once upon a time. Upon realizing that his latest victim is your associate, he beats a quick retreat, leaving you alone with the downcast woman.
- Bereft of leads as to the whereabouts of the missing inspector, you and Nashu decide to take a different tack. Together you will question the residents of Kugane in an effort to learn of any recent cases of criminal mischief which are likely to draw the attention of Inspector Hildibrand.
- The story on everyone's lips these days is that of a mysterious thief preying upon wealthy merchants. This information should serve to satisfy Nashu─at least more than the revelation that the Lalafell in pink who first directed you to her has been stalking her for nigh on five years...
- Recognizing the futility of trying to warn Nashu about her addle-brained stalker, you bring her attention instead to the matter of the mysterious thief. She agrees that it is just the sort of case that would draw the inspector from malms away, and so you resolve to seek out Akebono, a merchant and most recent victim of the thief.
- You find Akebono being questioned by an earnest samurai, who upon taking his leave turns and bowls over Nashu. Rising to his feet, he introduces himself as Shigure before charging off to conduct his investigation, leaving you and Nashu to continue yours by questioning Akebono. The merchant has little new information to share, save for a note presumably left by the perpetrator, which proudly declares that, “You have just been robbed by the Kugane Wolf Burglar!” If there was any doubt before that Inspector Hildibrand would be tempted by this case, it was extinguished in that moment, for no self-respecting inspector could abide a thief so brazen as to leave a calling card.
- You and Nashu have your case, and you need only pursue it until the inspector turns up. Of course, it is entirely possible he is in another city, or at the bottom of an ocean, or still airborne...but somewhere, deep in your heart, you know he will turn up precisely when he is needed. Or precisely when he is not. Probably the latter.