Borderland Ruins (Secure)
|Frontline is a PvP duty wherein the main goal is to defeat opposing players, capture control points, and defeat Interceptor Drones to accumulate a "Tactical Rating" of 800/1200/1600 (depending on team size) for your team before the other teams accomplish the same.
When you enter the Carteneau Flats, you will appear in your Grand Company's staging area. You will have 2 minutes to strategize and prepare. While in your staging area, you can cast buffs, mount, or change jobs/classes. There are no role requirements for teams, so you can change at will while in the staging area.
After the prep time is over, the battle begins. Once you leave the staging area, you can not return unless you are KO'd. The battle has a time limit of 30 minutes.
Located around the area are several control points, marked with a circle on the ground and a flag:
Depending on the number of players, not all of the control points may be used. By standing within the circle, you can capture that control point for your team- However, to capture the location your team must have more allies within the circle than enemies. A gauge appears in the duty list to show the status of a control point while you are standing within it. Points controlled by the enemy must be first neutralized, then captured by your team. The more players you have within the circle than your opponents, the faster the location will be captured.
Capturing a location earns you Tactical Rating points. Additionally, Every 3 seconds, your team's Tactical Rating increases for each location your team controls. The more locations controlled, the greater the benefit:
|Locations Held||Tactical rating per 3 sec|
Additionally, the following actions will also earn Tactical Rating for your team:
|Action||Tactical rating points|
|Neutralizing a control point||10|
|Capturing a control point||10|
|Defeating Interceptor Drones||20|
|Defeating the Interceptor Node||200|
- Note: For Neutralizing a control point, the points go to the team that had the most players in the circle (Indicated with a grand company symbol on the capture progress bar) at the time of the neutralization. So if two different teams are warring over a location, it's possible for one team to get 10 points for neutralizing and the other team to get 10 points for the capture.
A group of 6 Interceptor Drones periodically spawn on top of the bluff in the center of the area, starting 60 seconds after the match starts, and every 4 minutes after the drones are all killed, and are accompanied by an announcement when they appear: "The Heliodrome's matter displacer has been activated!" The Interceptor Node appears in the center of the area at around 20:00 to 18:00 on the instance timer (The timing of the Interceptor Node was adjusted to happen slightly later in the match in Patch 2.35), and an announcement also marks its arrival. the Interceptor Drones are not especially strong, but the Interceptor Node will require at least a few players to defeat, due to the significant damage it periodically deals to all players near it.
Victory Conditions and Rewards
Once one team reaches the target Tactical Rating, the match ends. The team reaching the target first will be declared the victor, with the two other teams ranked according to their ending Tactical Rating. PvP Experience and Wolf Marks will be earned based both on your participation and your team's rank at the end, with the 2nd place team earning approximately 3/4 the rewards of the 1st place team, and the 3rd place team earning approximately 1/2 of the 1st place team's reward.
The base rewards are as follows. Note that a special multiplier to these rewards applies if a particular Grand Company is losing more frequently. Companies that have lost more matches will therefore receive more EXP and Marks than listed here. More specifically, an under-performing Company's participants will initally recieve a 10% bonus to Wolf Marks. If that company continues to underperform, the bonus increases to 20%. This is applied additively with Mark Up if it is in effect.
All participants also receive:
Allagan Tomestone of Poetics x50
Special mounts- Storm Warsteed, Flame Warsteed, Serpent Warsteed can be earned by completing the Line in the Storm IV, Line in the Sand IV, and/or Line in the Glade IV achievements (100 wins with the respective Grand Company).
For those upgrading a Relic Weapon Nexus, Frontline generates Brilliant light (6 points), or Blinding light (12 points) with bonus each match, regardless of the outcome.
Frontline follows most of the general PvP rules as outlined in Category:Player Versus Player, with the following additions and exceptions:
- Unlike in The Wolves' Den, mounts can be summoned and ridden on the Frontline. However, any direct damage has a 100% chance of inflicting the Heavy effect (Damage over Time effects with no initial hit and non-damaging effects do not cause the Heavy effect)
- As of the Stormblood expansion, the Borderland Ruins (Secure) now uses the Adrenaline system instead of limit breaks.
- If a Limit Break is cancelled mid-cast, 1/2 of a segment worth of the limit gauge will be immediately depleted, to discourage scare tactics (e.g. casting and cancelling the AoE limit break to provoke enemy players to scatter).
- Unlike the Wolves' Den you are able to Return when incapacitated. When you are KO'd, you will have to wait for a period of time before you can use Return. Each time you do this, the wait time the next time you are KO'd will be increased. This can be avoided by accepting a Raise / Resurrection / Ascend spell instead of returning.
- Say, Shout, and Yell can be used within the area, however they will only be heard by members of your team. Alliance chat can also be used if there are more than 8 players on each team.
- It is NOT currently possible to enter as a pre-formed alliance, even though that feature is available as of Patch 2.35. It is only possible to queue for Syrcus Tower, Labyrinth of the Ancients, or World of Darkness.