Your personal chocobo can be called to fight by your side after completing the quest My Feisty Little Chocobo. Upon being called using Gysahl Greens, your companion will be of equal level to your job/class. Your companion has its own separate leveling curve, with increased companion levels leading to increased skills/abilities. Companion EXP is gained simply by killing mobs with your Chocobo companion out, and from certain challenges in the Challenge Log.
Your chocobo will max out its level when it reaches rank 10. To get it past 10, you will need to unlock the ability for it to earn experience for its current level by using a Thavnairian Onion. You'll know if a chocobo is maxed on experience when its "Rank" and "Exp Value" in the Companion Details window changed to a different color. When it is changed, select "Train" from the Chocobo Stable menu and select a Thavnairian Onion as the reward (do not select "Feed" as it is not Chocobo Feed) and the color will change back to normal, allowing it to receive EXP again. Every level it needs to gain in this method (10 -> 11, 11 -> 12, 12 -> 13, etc. up to 20) requires an onion. If your chocobo reaches maximum experience while in your Free Company or Personal Housing Chocobo Stable, you'll need to take it out, summon it with a Gysahl Greens and kill something to earn 1 exp in order to properly level it. After it levels from that experience, feed it an Onion to let it unlock experience for its new level!
Training your Chocobo
To unlock Chocobo Raising you first need to complete Bird in Hand. You will then be able to train your chocobo once per hour while stabled to earn experience points.
- Chocobo experience gained is the same for any item selected. Poorly tended stables, however, will reduce experience gains.
- Depending on the feed used, your chocobo will gain a special effect when called in the field. If you train your chocobo on the same feed for a certain period of time, that feed will become its favorite and yield added benefits while called.
- You can change your chocobo's favorite feed by feeding a different feed for a period of time.
|Feed||Normal Effect||Favorite Effect|
|Tantalplant||Companion Maximum HP Up||Companion Maximum HP Up II|
|Sylkis Bud||Companion Attack Up||Companion Attack Up II|
|Pahsana Fruit||Companion Enmity Up||Companion Enmity Up II|
|Mimett Gourd||Companion Healing Potency Up||Companion Healing Potency Up II|
|Curiel Root||Companion EXP Up||Companion EXP Up II|
Killing mobs with your Chocobo grants Companion EXP , which leads to increased ranks. With each rank up that your Chocobo receives, you will be granted a certain amount of SP (Skill Points) that you can use in order to unlock a new ability or trait in either the Defender, Attacker or Healer roles.
- Chocobo skills can be reset by using a Reagan Pepper, which is purchased from your Grand Company's Billmaster for 20 Allied Seals or 48,000 Grand Company seals from the Quartermaster.
Skill Points (SP) Earned Per Rank
At level 50
All numbers non critical vs training dummy*
At level 50
All numbers non critical*
- Main Article: Chocobo Dyeing
Chocobo Dyeing is the most common name attributed by players to the system of coloring the plumage of Chocobo Companions by feeding them certain snacks. The system is a heavily customized RGB color model in which deeper colors have lower values and approach black, whereas lighter colors have higher values and approach white.
- Main Article: Chocobo Barding
Chocobo gear known as 'barding' has been issued by the Grand Companies, and is also separately available through other means, is said to protect these avian mounts on and off the turmoils of the battlefield.
- Barding does not, at this time, affect a chocobo in any way aside from changing its appearance.
- Barding cannot be lost, damaged, or discarded.
Players can participate in chocobo racing via the Manderville Gold Saucer using specially trained race chocobos (chocobo companions are not eligible). From improving their abilities through rigorous training to breeding retired chocobos for their traits, you can raise the champion chocobo you’ve always wanted.