Borderland Ruins (Slaughter) has been removed as of the Stormblood expansion.
Frontline is a large-scale, 3-way battle for domination. The battles generally feature a large open area where three teams of up to 24 players each compete for control of a vast wasteland with allagan technology lying about. There are four modes across three different areas, the Carteneau Flats (CF), Seal Rock (SR) or the Fields of Glory (FoG).
- "Secure" (CF), where the goal is to be the first team to accumulate a set Tactical Rating score, which is earned from taking control points, defeating opponents, and killing special monsters. Added in Patch 2.3
- "Seize" (SR), where teams compete to obtain valuable data from Allagan tomeliths which appear around the area. Added in Patch 3.05
- "Shatter" (FoG), which is a bit of a hybrid of the other modes, where the goal is to earn points through controlling capture points like Secure, kills as in Slaughter, and by destroying Icebound Tomeliths.
- On any given day, one of the three Frontline modes will be featured and only that mode will be available. At midnight (server time) the available battle will change, using the list of modes above in that order.
- A Frontline Daily Challenge is also available which will earn you additional rewards the first time you queue for it each day.
Frontline also contains unique battle mechanics such as "Battle Highs" which reward kill streaks and unique game objectives for each mode.
Regardless of area and mode, Frontline is made to be accessible to all and has minimal requirements in order to facilitate party matching- players may even change jobs in their team's starting area.