- Beatin appears to be despondent over an incident involving Gairhard. See what Nicoliaux knows of the timbermaster's troubles.
- Nicoliaux tells you of an argument between Beatin and Gairhard which seemed to concern an old bow. Unable to calm himself, Beatin expelled his friend from the guild. While Nicoliaux attempts to console the timbermaster, speak with Gairhard at the Adders' Nest to learn more of this incident.
- Gairhard does not go into detail about the argument, instead explaining that his commission is of grave import. Having no other recourse, he asks you to craft a cobalt halberd, a jade crook, and a yew longbow. To ensure that the weapons are of superior quality, he also requests that you present them to Beatin for inspection before delivering them to him.
- Having recovered somewhat from his earlier malaise, Beatin evaluates and approves of your products. Return to the Adders' Nest and deliver the items to Gairhard.
- After thanking you for your hard work, Gairhard acknowledges that he is as much at fault as Beatin for the earlier dispute. Nevertheless, he and his squad must soon depart Gridania on their next mission, and he will not have another chance to visit the timbermaster for quite some time. Give the captain's regards to Beatin.
- Beatin is saddened to hear of Gairhard's departure, though he understands it to be an unavoidable consequence of life as a soldier. He also reveals to you the nature of the previous argument. Apparently, the timbermaster had refused to accept the commission until the captain allowed him to replace Gairhard's old longbow. Though he fears Gairhard's weapon will not last another moon, he regrets having lost his temper, and hopes that his friend will return soon.
- The next carpenter quest will be available from Beatin upon reaching level 50.