- The deputy postmoogle has a mysterious delivery for you. Perhaps the recipient, the hermit Drest of the Severed String, can shed some light on the puzzling letter.
- Drest's reaction is not exactly what one would call enlightening, but it certainly lives up to the postmoogle's fanfare. Signed, “The Ones You Killed,” the letter calls the hermit “Dashing Drest” and asks a singular question: “Do you dream of rain?” Reflect on it while you retrieve Drest's precious leather sack from Raincatcher Gully.
- You find the leather sack, though you can still make neither head nor tail of the message in the letter. Perhaps Drest will have something to say about it, when you deliver the sack with its hoard of gil.
- Drest's hard-won gil is gone from the sack, replaced with a blood-caked helm of a Garlean legionnaire. The terrified hermit begs you to draw off any watchers outside the shack, then meet him near the House of Sticks in lower La Noscea to guard him on his flight.
- You arrive at the appointed location and discover that the rendezvous has become a rescue mission. Save Drest from the Garlean legionnaires and see whether you can finally get to the bottom of this very strange delivery.
- Drest is safe, and may yet find his way out of the thorn-wood of his heart. You suspect that what happened on a rainy night three years ago was but the last straw, and the tragedy began when Garlemald set its sights on Drest's homeland... But that story is for another day.