Players can assign their retainers ventures, which send retainers out into the field to procure items. Retainers may undertake one of several types of ventures, and will be tasked with either obtaining a specified item or left to freely explore the world to obtain items as they see fit. Retainers will receive experience points upon completion of ventures, increasing their level to the same level as the player.
Retainer Venture Access
Players must complete one of the following quests to gain access to ventures:
|Quest Name||Required Level||Location||NPC|
|An Ill-conceived Venture (Limsa Lominsa)||Level 17||Limsa Lominsa Lower Decks (X:10 Y:11)||Troubled Adventurer|
|An Ill-conceived Venture (Gridania)||Level 17||New Gridania (X:11 Y:12)||Troubled Adventurer|
|An Ill-conceived Venture (Ul'dah)||Level 17||Ul'dah - Steps of Nald (X:9 Y:8)||Troubled Adventurer|
Once unlocked, a number of new following categories will be added to the retainer interface:
- Number of remaining ventures
- View venture report
- Assign venture
- View retainer attributes and gear
- Assign retainer class
Assigning Your Retainer a Class
You must first assign your retainer a class and equip them with a main arm before they can undertake a venture. Retainers can be set to any Disciples of War or Magic class, or any Disciples of the Land class. The assigned class will determine the items they can procure.
- Classes your character have not unlocked cannot be assigned to retainers. In addition, the retainer's possible max level will be ~5 levels lower if the player does not have the class at level 50.
- A retainer's class can be changed at any time. However, you must reset their current class and level before assigning a new one.
Retainers can be equipped with gear befitting their assigned class and level, which will in turn affect items procured on their venture. Items will be procured in increased quantities by increasing either average item level for Disciples of War and Magic, or gathering rating for Disciples of the Land. Moreover, for retainers set as Disciples of the Land, increasing perception will result in a higher likelihood of obtaining high-quality items.
Gear equipped by a retainer will be bound upon completion of a retainer venture. However, bound items can still be exchanged and used by both players and their retainers.
- Gear durability will not be affected by retainer ventures.
- Spiritbond rating will be affected by retainer ventures but at a very slow rate.
Types of Retainer Ventures
Retainers may undertake one of several types of ventures. Depending on the type of venture, retainers will be tasked with obtaining a specified item, or left to freely explore the world to obtain items as they see fit.
The following ventures will task your retainer with procuring a specified item in a short amount of time. Disciples of War and Magic will procure the same items from such ventures, regardless of class. Items available for the Disciples of Land will vary depending on the class.
- Disciples of War and Magic - See: Hunting Exploration
- Miner - See: Mining Exploration
- Botanist - See: Botany Exploration
- Fisher - See: Fishing Exploration
The following exploration ventures will allow your retainer to freely explore the world, procuring items as they see fit. Although these ventures require more time to complete, they yield far greater experience, and also allow retainers to procure more obscure items such as Allagan bronze and silver pieces.
- Disciples of War and Magic - See: Field Exploration
- Miner - See: Highland Exploration
- Botanist - See: Woodland Exploration
- Fisher - See: Waterside Exploration
- Although retainers will procure items randomly, higher-level retainers may procure items, minions, and crafting materials unique to exploration ventures.
See: Quick Exploration.
Upon reaching level 10, retainers can undertake quick exploration ventures. Retainers assigned to quick exploration will always come back with a single item, which will remain unknown until the venture is completed.
Assigning a Venture
Players can assign a venture to their retainers by selecting Assign Venture from the retainer interface. Assigning a venture requires payment with a unique currency named ventures, which can be acquired through the exchange of company seals, fulfilling leve objectives, or completing beast tribe quests.
- Players can still summon their retainers and place items for sale on the market while a venture is in progress.
When completed, your retainer's venture report will be updated in the retainer interface, allowing you to collect the spoils of their venture. Retainers will receive experience points upon completion of ventures, increasing their level to a maximum of 90. The number of available ventures will increase as your retainer advances in level.