- As Alisaie laments her brother's lengthy silence since departing for the Garlean motherland, a messenger arrives from the Eorzean Alliance. He informs you that a council is to be held in Ala Mhigo to deliberate how best to combat the Ascian menace, and that the Scions' presence has been requested. Moments after the messenger takes his leave, Riol receives a call from Thancred. It would seem your old friend is en route from the imperial provinces bearing important intelligence, and so you set out to meet him in the Ala Mhigan Quarter.
- After gulping down a cup of water, a breathless Thancred briefs you on all that he has learned during his time in Garlean territory. The various resistance movements abroad fight on, bolstered by materiel support from the Eorzean Alliance, but the impostor wearing Zenos's face continues to move in plain sight, affirming your suspicion that an Ascian hand holds the reins of the Empire. Last but not least, Thancred reveals that he received a distorted message from Alphinaud, from which he could only make out two words: “The Burn.” Immediately recognizing this as the name of a barren wasteland on the edge of Othard, Alisaie declares her intention to search for her brother there, and you duly agree to accompany her.
- Alisaie proposes paying a visit to Doma in order to apprise Hien of the situation and consult him on transportation to the Burn. Since you will be in the area, Thancred suggests that you first take the opportunity to call on Y'shtola, who is currently in the Doman Enclave conducting her primal investigation.
- You find your fellow Scion speaking with a local miner, who complains of having unearthed naught but deaspected crystals of late. After he takes his leave, Y'shtola shares her observations on the use of sacred relics in summoning. These objects of worship, it would seem, allow for a primal to be called forth even in the absence of faith on the summoner's part, making them dangerous in the extreme. When the subject finally turns to Alphinaud's garbled message, Y'shtola readily agrees to aid in the search, prompting Alisaie to depart for the Kienkan to meet with Hien.
- Though Hien promises to spare no effort in the search for Alphinaud, it is plain that he has serious misgivings about venturing into the Burn.