- Yayake of the Arrzaneth Ossuary has asked you to ascertain the truth of a prophecy being spoken by one Ququruka, a prisoner who claims to hear the voice of Nald'thal. To do this, proceed to Highbridge in eastern Thanalan and investigate the planar fissure that is said to be there. Once looked into, fell any fiends that emerge, and secure a vial of their blood.
- You have obtained a vial of fresh blood. Pour it into the planar fissure that remains.
- After pouring the voidsent blood into the planar fissure, an Amalj'aa named Kazagg Chah appears and presents you with the Gem of Shatotto. Take the gem and word of your feat back to Yayake at the Thaumaturges' Guild.
- Yayake is surprised to see that the so-called "prophecy" carried with it some legitimacy, but is even more surprised when the prophecy maker himself, Ququruka, makes an appearance in the guild. After hurling a few well-timed insults in Yayake's general direction, the self-proclaimed black mage bids you proceed to Mivaneth Sacrarium. Once there, speak with his companion, Lalai.
- Upon arriving at the Sacrarium, you learn that Ququruka is preoccupied with his meditations, and has entrusted Lalai with guiding you along the path of the black mage. Continue your study into the black arts, and return when you feel the arcane might within you has grown.
- The next black mage quest will be available from Lalai upon reaching level 35.