The Lost and the Found
|Click to view Map|
|Click to view Map|
|Click to view Map|
|Click to view Map|
|Click to view Map|
- Giott appears to be consuming ale with even greater voracity than usual.
- Though a search through the Cabinet of Curiosity's resources for further information regarding Sophrosyne's magic has borne no fruit─through much fault of Giott's own, you gather─a new lead as to the Virtue's whereabouts did apparently present itself. Giott reasons that there's no reason not to pursue it, given the dearth of other options, so you agree to set out for the Rak'tika Greatwood in search of the eater.
- You meet up with Giott, who, to no one's surprise, is enjoying the local spirits in Slitherbough. The dwarf proposes that you once again divide your efforts and kill a number of sin eaters as bait for Sophrosyne.
- You put down a pair of sin eaters in accordance with the plan. The more the better, however, so slaying a few extra would not go amiss.
- Between your efforts and the enthusiasm with which Giott is doubtless undertaking the task, you have likely dispatched a sufficiency of sin eaters. All that remains is to rejoin your companion and wait to see if Sophrosyne appears.
- Fortunately, Sophrosyne takes the bait, swiftly healing a fallen eater. Less fortunately, the Echo causes you to collapse almost immediately upon engaging it in combat. It shows you another vision of Lamitt's past, one in which the First's Warriors of Light travel to the ruins of Ronka, and it seems that it was in that ancient place that she learned the long-forgotten technique that Sophrosyne now wields.
- You relate the contents of your vision to Giott, who, it transpires, has saved you from an untimely death at the hands of Sophrosyne. You do not neglect to mention the detail of Lamitt's apparent purpose in seeking the restorative magic of eld─to save her sister, though from what you do not know. Giott finds the tale to be of great interest, and suggests you both return to the Crystarium to further reflect on it...over a mug of ale, no doubt.
- It appears that learning of Lamitt's sister has provided Giott with a solid lead at last, as dwarven records are likely to contain at least some mention of her. It also may be worth looking into the Ronkan magic Lamitt gained access to...though whether it will be possible to do so will depend on whether Moren is willing to forgive Giott's prior transgressions at the Cabinet. Regardless, it will take the dwarf some time to investigate all possible avenues, so you are free to wander afield in the meanwhile.
<gulp> <gulp> <gulp> <gulp> <gulp>
Lali-ho! I'd ask if you're here for a drink, but I know you ain't. You've got that serious look about you─as usual.
I've got my usual here too. My fifth round of it, in fact! Ha!
Why so few, you ask? Well, I stepped away for a while to do some research, but that Moren bloke kicked me right out of the Cabinet of Curiosity. And then banned me for life!
Spill just a wee bit of mead on the books and he chases you out with the fury of a thousand Floods... That man could use a drink, if you ask me.
What's the glare for? Don't tell me you're siding with him over me! We're supposed to be partners!
And after I worked so hard to find us new information on Sophrosyne! Drank so much! Sat with those dusty tomes until not one, but both of my buttocks went numb....
|So...did you find anything?||Yeah, that sounds like you.|
You know, after what I went through at the Cabinet, your complete refusal to acknowledge anything I do is kind of comforting, actually.
I know, ain't I great? And I have the most magnificent beard!
Anyhow, I did get some new information from a reliable source─a drinking buddy of mine. Sophrosyne was seen recently in the Rak'tika Greatwood. If we do some of our signature eater-slaying in the forest, there's a chance we'll draw it out.
I figure that sitting around thinking is getting us nowhere, and research can only take us so far. So why not? Maybe fighting it together'll teach us something we couldn't learn otherwise.
We can't kill it, but the two of us should be more than capable of getting a few whacks in and making an escape. I've fought it before and come away fine. Mostly.
So that's the plan! Meet me at Slitherbough. Then we go a-pummeling.
<gulp> <gulp> <gulp> Ahhh...
There you are. I didn't mention it earlier, but I've been here looking for Sophrosyne before. I know most everyone in Slitherbough, actually.
Sure, they seem an odd lot at first, what with worshipping the darkness and all. But once you get to know 'em, share a few drinks...they're not bad folks.
Make a fine wine, too. Shame you can't get it anywhere else.
Anyhow, they've been helping me out while I enjoy the local spirits. Seems that Sophrosyne's shown itself in the Blind Forest of Yx'Maja, east of here. Let's get out there and slay a few sin eaters each, like we did before. See if that brings it to us.
You see this here? This big hammer? This is why you shouldn't stand near me when I'm getting ready to pulverize some sin eaters. You'll want to be at a safe distance. From the big hammer.
Right, that looks good. Well, not good, but you take my meaning. Now we settle in and hope that Sophrosyne's feeling charitable today.
...Where is it? I'm nearly out of wine.
Don't forget─we still need to find out how it does what it does, so make sure you're watching, not just walloping.
Did we do it?
<sigh> Of course not. Healing magic is so annoying...er, no offense intended.
Forename!? Oh, not again!
So this is the guardian. You excited, Lamitt?
I... Yes. Of course. I've come this far, and I will claim the legacy of Ronka.
All's well. Now, let's get what we came for─the lost restorative magic of Ronka...
Can you sense the power in it?
Yes─there can be no mistake, Cylva. This is it. And I... My only path is forward.
Wise guardian! In the name of the royal house of Ronka, I implore you─grant me your knowledge!
I─I did it. The spell is mine at long last...
I can save my sister!
And you will. We'll meet up with Branden and Nyelbert, and then we'll see you home.
Hey, O he of inferior beardlyness! Egg-face! Hobson! Get it together, for stone's sake!
Seeing into the past is a nice trick and all, but could you maybe─oh, I don't know─wait until we're not in mortal peril next time?
Driving Sophrosyne away without pulverizing you in the bargain was no mean feat! If I weren't, well, me, we'd both be dead right about now.
I hope you learned something worth the trouble, at least.
So Lamitt was after a spell from old Ronka? That could be the secret of Sophrosyne's power...but it's hard to know for sure. Whatever Lamitt did to pry those secrets out of the ruins was right complicated, by the sound of it─and she took the power with her.
We need to think on how we can confirm what you saw, maybe find out what that magic actually does. Yes, over a nice mug of ale. No, mead. No─ale first, then mead...
<gulp> Nothing goes down so well after a fight than ale! Ain't no higher truth in this world than that.
...Don't give me those “oh, there goes Giott, waxing philosophical about the ale again” eyes! I'm doing this for your own good. It's plain that you never had a proper education.
It's like this─you pick the right booze for the right job. You've got your ale for before and after physical fights, of course, but you've also got mead for reading, wine for singing, and your hard liquor for those times when you need to tell some hobson to go stick his head in the forge.
Me, I'll be switching to the mead─I'm thinking I might find something about what happened to Lamitt's sister if I look through my village's old annals. And hopefully I can get my hands on some historical records of Ronka, Moren be damned...
I don't know what you'll be getting yourself into while I'm at it, but you make sure to bring the right drink for the job! I'll let you know when I've got something worth pursuing.