- Though you have never met him, this hearty hunter seems to know you quite well. So well, in fact, he considers you his rival. Perhaps that is why he chooses to share with you an unusual Clan Hunt bill he procured from their board. The strange scribblings describe a great wyvern by the name Rathalos. Though the bill makes no mention of its origins, the hearty hunter has discovered it was last seen somewhere at the Azim Steppe. He suggests you visit Reunion to learn more of your prey while he readies himself for the hunt.
- Try as you might, you fail to find anyone who can attest to the existence of this great wyvern. On the word of a traveling merchant, however, you decide to consult the Qestir, masters of the Reunion markets, in hopes of learning more of your prey.
- You speak with a merchant of the Qestir tribe, though his initial response is only an expression of grave concern. He then points southwest toward Yat Khaal. Perhaps there you will find some trace of the Rathalos.
- While waiting for signs of the wyvern, you are confronted by a curious talking cat claiming to be a fledgling Felyne hunter. He too has come in search of the Rathalos, and no sooner does he speak its name than a colossal, crimson-scaled wyvern swoops down from the sky to claim a dzo for its next meal. At last, the hunt begins. The Felyne hunter wastes no time chasing after the Rathalos, heading northwest toward Bardam's Mettle.
- You arrive at Bardam's Mettle to find the Felyne hunter is ready, not to fight, but support. Preferably from the safety of the entrance. That said, he does offer you several potions to ensure you are duly prepared. The battle before you will likely be fierce, and to that end the Felyne hunter suggests you seek reinforcements before jumping into the fray.
- The Rathalos was truly a beast worthy of its title, but not even the king of the skies was a match for you and your comrades. The Felyne hunter is certain to be glad to hear of your success.
- The Felyne hunter is in awe of your strength. Wishing to bear witness to your future feats of heroism and derring-do, he asks to join you as an adventuring companion. It was quite fortunate that you happened to glimpse his mark bill. He is surprised, however, to hear you saw it not on the Clan Hunt board, but from a hunter in Kugane. He asks if you might introduce him to the man who ultimately guided you to aid him.
- You arrive in Kugane to find your supposed rival has just finished warming up and is ready to hunt. A pity you have already claimed his prize. You expect him to be disappointed, perhaps even cross with you, but instead he is pleased to see you proved yourself worthy of being his adversary. His smithy companion is more concerned with what, if anything, you recovered from the Rathalos. Hearing you carved a scale from its hide, he jumps at the opportunity to use it in his work, offering to fashion you armor if you can procure more. If you should take him up on his offer, the hunt for Rathalos has only begun.