- H'loonh regales you with a tale of buried treasure, as recounted to her by a halfwit drunkard at the local alehouse. With hopes high, set off in pursuit of her eminently reliable informant, said to be visiting a miner acquaintance in Raincatcher Gully.
- The miner puts little stock in the tall tales of his drinking companion, strongly advising you against chasing apocryphal fortunes. Should you choose to ignore his warning, you may find the would-be treasure hunter Ealdwine where X marks the spot to the southeast of Camp Bronze Lake.
- Self-styled treasure hunter Ealdwine reeks heavily of his namesake and has likely not seen a bath in several moons. He invites you-- for better or for worse-- to open, in his stead, an unearthed casket, which he absolutely, positively, beyond-a-shadow-of-a-doubt assures you is not trapped.
- In an entirely unexpected turn of events, the chest was indeed trapped. Having dispatched the nasty critters lured to the scene, you are free to inspect the chest once more and retrieve its contents.
- You have retried the treasure—if one could call it that—from the casket. Deliver the tattered coinpurse and bottle you found to Ealdwine, and let him know that the rewards were hardly worth the effort.
- Showing considerably more concern for his own coinpurse than your ordeal, Ealdwine nevertheless encourages you to join him in the hunt for treasure, imparting to you the skill of map-reading to serve this end. Notwithstanding the liable nature of your mentor, who is to say what treasures lie hidden across the realm? With your newfound knowledge, strike forth in search of riches and glory.