- Guildmaster Luciane wishes to instruct you on the fundamentals of archery.
- Luciane tells you that the essence of archery is observation with intent─to see all without losing sight of your purpose. In order to test your capacity for observation, the bowmaster instructs you to seek out and destroy several targets hidden throughout the city. Locate the targets and destroy them using your Heavy Shot technique.
- You have successfully destroyed all of the targets. Report back to Luciane at the Archers' Guild.
- Luciane challenges you to take the next step and evaluate live enemies from afar, only engaging them once you have identified an appropriate strategy. Journey to the North Shroud and slay eight microchus and eight opo–opos.
- You have successfully slain the microchus and opo–opos. Report back to Luciane at the Archers' Guild.
- Satisfied with your showing in the trial, Luciane introduces you to two other members of the guild, the Miqo'te Leih Aliapoh and the Elezen Silvairre. Mindful of the lessons you have learned during your training so far, you resume your quest to master the bow.
- ※The next archer quest will be available from Luciane upon reaching level 10.
to you, Forename
. I felt that it was about time you returned. Have you grown more accustomed to the bow?
Before we go any further, I wish to ensure that you have grasped the fundamental essence of archery. Tell me, Forename, do you truly understand what it means to see clearly?
To see clearly is not merely to look. It is to observe with intent. Fail to do this, and no amount of talent with a bow will avail you.
An archer must remain vigilant for any trace of his target, overlooking not the smallest detail lest it prove crucial to the realization of his purpose. He must, in short, see clearly. The coming task will test your powers of observation.
A number of targets have been hidden throughout the city. I would have you seek out and destroy them.
Each will fall easily to your Heavy Shot technique. When you have completed the task, return to me and we will continue.
Ah, you have returned. I trust you have begun to comprehend the crucial importance of seeing clearly.
The next trial will test your powers of observation in battle. Travel to the North Shroud, and there put down eight microchus and eight opo–opos.
In contrast to the inanimate and wholly unthreatening targets of the previous trial, these creatures may be relied upon to move around and fight back.
Nor are those the only differences. Being comparatively numerous, microchus and opo–opos are anything but difficult to find. And yet you may be assured that this task will test your powers of observation...albeit in a different manner.
This time, you will need to evaluate the abilities of your opponent. In so doing, you will learn, amongst other things, that microchus produce a poison that can quickly sap one's strength, while opo–opos─like archers─possess the advantage of range.
Knowing their strengths, how will you go about mitigating them? If you commence your attack before identifying an effective strategy, you will soon be made to regret your folly.
But if you take the time to observe your targets from afar, you will surely glean the knowledge necessary to defeat them.
I look forward to hearing of your success, Forename.
Welcome back, young Forename. Tell me, were you able to put your techniques to good use?
When faced with an enemy who can attack from a distance, simply raining arrows upon it is wasteful and dangerous both. The battle would be naught more than a contest of strength.
By employing the appropriate technique, however, one may bring down one's foe with greater ease and fewer arrows. For instance, you may choose to prime your weapon well and strike hard, or employ toxins to sap their strength over time.
On the assumption that this fact dawned upon you prior to the fall of your sixteenth target, I congratulate you on passing the trial.
Leih. Silvairre. What is your honest evaluation?
Not bad, if you ask me. The adventurer pulls a good bow, and is enthusiastic besides.
A pleasure to meet you. My name is Leih Aliapoh, and this is my second year at the guild.
It's quite plain that you have talent with a bow, but you must take care to mind your surroundings when you're pursuing a target.
I had my eye on you for the duration of your trial, but not once did you notice my presence.
"Mind your surroundings“? That is rich, coming from you.
Your every movement is wasteful, adventurer.
Your back is crooked, and your elbows misaligned. It takes you an age to prime your bow, and twice as long to loose an arrow.
In summary, you fail on all counts. You have no talent as an archer─none whatsoever.
I shall say it plain, Luciane: this man
is not fit to wield a bow. For our sake─and his
─we should revoke his
As I've always said, outsiders can scarce be expected to understand─never mind master─our noble art.
We waste our breath trying to teach his
...Well! Allow me to introduce you to Silvairre, our comrade at the butts.
The fellow was once of the Gods' Quiver, you see, and he can be a little...opinionated when it comes to archery. Oh, but you mustn't pay him any heed─he's like that to everyone.
You'd be lucky to get much sense out of a fossil-brained Wildwood Elezen like him at the best of times. With them, it's always “Twelveswood this” and “elementals that,” and─ Oh! Ahem!
...No offense intended, Luciane.
None taken, Leih. I know full well that some of my kind can be prideful to excess and intolerant of other races.
Although people may behold the same object, ever will they see different things. There is no right or wrong to it, for it is a question of perspective.
What matters is the perspective we choose to adopt.
You are possessed of bright eyes, Forename
─eyes that bespeak great understanding. They shan't lead you astray, so trust to them, and to what they see.
Go now and resume your training. I look forward to marking your progress when next we meet.
- Throught New Gridania there are six targets. You must use Heavy Shot to destroy them.
- The first is at (14, 12), right outside the guild.
- The second is atop the wall at (13, 12) on the path leading away from the guild.
- The third is atop the stairs at (12, 11) by the Aetheryte.
- The fourth is under the bridge at (11, 11) by the Aetheryte.
- The fifth is on the guild sign at (11, 11) on the Carptenters' Guild.
- The sixth is atop the building at (11, 12) on the Chocobo Stables.
- Return to Luciane.
- Head out to Treespeak in North Shroud to find Opo-opos.
- Head to Peacegarden to find Microchus.
- Return to Luciane for your reward.