Answers is the main theme of Final Fantasy XIV, composed by Nobuo Uematsu with lyrics by Yaeko Sato and Michael-Christopher Koji Fox. Vocals were performed by Susan Calloway, who was chosen based on her work with Distant Worlds.
- I close my eyes, tell us why must we suffer
- Release your hands, for your will drags us under
- My legs grow tired, tell us where must we wander
- How can we carry on if redemption's beyond us?
- To all of my children in whom Life flows abundant
- To all of my children to whom Death hath passed his judgement
- The soul yearns for honor, and the flesh the hereafter
- Look to those who walked before to lead those who walk after
- Shining is the Land's light of justice
- Ever flows the Land's well of purpose
- Walk free, walk free, walk free, believe...
- The Land is alive, so believe...
- Suffer (Feel) Promise (Think) Witness (Teach) Reason
- (Hear) Follow (Feel) Wander (Think) Stumble (Teach) Listen
- (Speak) Honor (Speak) Value (Tell) Whisper (Tell) Mention
- (Hope) Ponder (Hope) Warrant (Wish) Cherish (Wish) Welcome
- (Roam) Witness (Roam) Listen (Roam) Suffer (Roam) Sanction
- (Sleep) Weather (Sleep) Wander (Sleep) Answer
- Sleep on
- Now open your eyes while our plight is repeated
- Still deaf to our cries, lost in hope we lie defeated
- Our souls have been torn, and our bodies forsaken
- Bearing sins of the past, for our future is taken
- War born of strife, these trials persuade us not
- (Feel what? Learn what?)
- Words without sound, these lies betray our thoughts
- (See what? Hear what?)
- Mired by a plague of doubt, the Land, she mourns
- Judgement binds all we hold to a memory of scorn
- Tell us why, given Life, we are meant to die, helpless in our cries?
- Witness (Feel) Suffer (Think) Borrow (Teach) Reason
- (Hear) Follow (Feel) Stumble (Think) Wander (Teach) Listen
- (Blink) Whisper (Blink) Shoulder (Blink) Ponder (Blink) Weather
- (Hear) Answer (Look) Answer (Think) Answer together
- Thy Life is a riddle, to bear rapture and sorrow
- To listen, to suffer, to entrust unto tomorrow
- In one fleeting moment, from the Land doth life flow
- Yet in one fleeting moment, for anew it doth grow
- In the same fleeting moment
- Thou must live, die, and know
The NPC Jainelette played the first few chords of Answers on her harp.
During the final days of Version 1.X, after the final save on October 31st, 2012, a distorted version of Answers replaced all outdoor field and battle music. Calloway's a capella vocals could be heard filtered to varying degrees, accompanied only by an ominous, aetherial rumble. This track has been referred to by fans as "Dalamud Answers."