- Briardien is eager to find and tail the shifty merchant from Blaisie's notes, and believes that staking out Mestonnaux's food stall will allow you accomplish just that. Seeing as he could show up any time to procure his standard selection of items from the cookshop proprietor, the inspector urges you make haste and follow him to the Jeweled Crozier. Securing a secluded corner on the bustling street, the two of you keep an eye out for a scar-faced man swathed in silken robes.
- As you stand watch at the Jeweled Crozier, a man fitting the description of the thug-turned-merchant appears, making a beeline for the food stall. Without taking his eyes off the merchant, Briardien begins pursuing the suspect with you in tow.
- Briardien is waiting for you at the Arc of the Worthy. According to him, the man you are tailing just passed through the gates and entered the Coerthas central highlands. Curtly reminding you to take care not to be spotted, he bids you follow him.
- Concealing yourselves behind a large tree, you and Briardien quietly observe a suspicious-looking carriage, into which the fake merchant disappeared but a moment ago. Taking note of the nearby guard, the inspector then asks you to create a diversion by announcing a surprise inspection of their wagon. While you distract the two men, he intends to gain entrance to the carriage and see what he can find.
- With the chat mode in Say, use your keyboard or the software keyboard to enter any phrase that contains the word “inspection” to draw the fake merchant and his guard's attention.
- You immediately draw the attention of the fake merchant and his guard by announcing a surprise inspection of their carriage. Marching toward you, they advise you in no uncertain terms to be on your way. However, when it becomes clear you will not─or rather cannot─abide by their wishes, they turn hostile. Charging at you with weapons in hand, it looks as though the only way to stop them would be through force.
- You overpower the two thugs, and see that they are restrained. As you turn to go and consult with the inspector on how to proceed, you notice he is hunched before a diminutive figure curled upon a thick blanket of Coerthan snow. Check if aught is amiss.
- You rush over to Briardien who─in hushed tones─is comforting Ulaa. Aside from appearing slightly peaky, she looks to be uninjured. The inspector informs you that, as suspected, she had been abducted, held captive in the fake merchant's carriage. Shortly thereafter, a band of Temple Knights appears, inquiring as to what the earlier racket was about. Briardien quickly narrates the events that had transpired before handing the thug and his lackey over to them and escorting Ulaa back to the scholasticate dormitory.
- Briardien meets with you at Saint Reymanaud's Cathedral and informs you that Ulaa is being tended to by Sister Gaetelle and is expected to make a full recovery. While she is currently in no condition to be questioned, the interrogation of the kidnappers is already well underway. Alas, it has yet to yield any substantial information regarding the identity of their employer. Though this case seems to grow more convoluted with every passing day, you and the inspector remain hopeful that the truth will eventually be brought to light.