- Forgemaster Brithael has dark circles under his eyes.
- Forgemaster Brithael, while far from enthusiastic about the prospect, tells you he shall be accompanying you to Kugane. He would like to learn what has become of the deal he and Sekka struck to trade forge secrets. Urging that you go on ahead of him, he tells you he will be joining you there. Travel to Kugane and speak with Sekka.
- Sekka is waiting for you by the port to welcome you to Kugane. After exchanging greetings, she asks that you make your way to Kokajiya, where her father waits to apprise you of the details of your competition.
- Shinto informs you that one of Kugane's samurai lords is looking to have uchigatana made for his vassals and has inquired as to whether his forge would be willing to produce them. Before putting in an official request, however, the lord would first like to assess the quality of Shinto's blades and has asked to be provided with a sample. The elderly swordsmith tells you that you and Sekka will be competing to see who can forge the better uchigatana, which will then be presented before this honored client. Satisfied you have been apprised of all you need to know, Shinto would have you return to Pier #2 and, alongside his daughter, wait for Forgemaster Brithael to arrive.
- Sekka is acting unusually coy and states that she has been confused by some of the things she has been feeling of late. She discloses that she cannot stop thinking about Forgemaster Brithael and every time he comes near, her heart begins to race and heat rises to her cheeks. While the both of you have an inkling of what this emotion might be, before you can come to a solid conclusion, your guildmaster arrives. After a quick exchange of greetings, Sekka excuses herself and the ex-pirate turns to you, saying he has brought with him all the supplies necessary for you to craft your uchigatana. Imparting some advice, he urges you to get started. Forge a high-quality examination uchigatana and deliver the finished product to Shinto at Kokajiya.
- ※In the event you lose the materials or the synthesis ends in failure, you may try again by speaking with Brithael.
- Shinto is impressed by not only the sharpness of your uchigatana, but also the intricate detailing on the hilt. His face darkens, however, when he turns his attention to the poorly crafted blade that Sekka has produced. When she explains that she made it dull and lightweight that she might cater to the needs of the majority of the lord's vassals who are not trained to use regular katana, her father is somewhat mollified. While it is clear Sekka is by no means the winner, Shinto decides that in attempting to forge something designed to suit the needs of the client, she is ready to become his apprentice. Celebrations are cut short, however, when the conversation takes an unexpected swerve and Sekka confesses her love for Brithael. Shinto is far from pleased by this and, seeing that, the guildmaster mumbles a hasty excuse before scuttling away.
- After a quick word of congratulations on winning the competition, Shinto tells you he will be sending a letter to your guildmaster regarding their agreement to exchange forging techniques. Bidding you return to Eorzea for fear that Forgemaster Brithael anxiously awaits your return, you part ways with father and daughter. Make your way back to the Blacksmiths' Guild and inform your guildmaster of all that happened in Kugane subsequent to his departure.
- Forgemaster Brithael tells you of how shortly after he returned, he received a letter from Shinto regarding the agreement he and Sekka made. Despite the not-so-subtle threats sprinkled throughout the letter, the elderly man seemed quite enthusiastic about the idea of trading forge secrets. Randwulf joins you not shortly after, with a letter the size and length of a short novel in hand. Telling Brithael it is addressed to him and is from Sekka, the forgemaster does not look pleased. In fact, he appears to be the slightest shade of green.