- With all parties having agreed to put aside their petty differences to address the grave matter of the madness that has taken Gullinbursti, Master Mogzin has decided on a plan of action. While he and Ohl Deeh gather information about Gullinbursti's current whereabouts, you and the deftarm will pursue the mysterious masked assailant in hopes of gaining insight as to what precisely is afflicting the ancient dragon, and how he might be returned to his benevolent self. At the deftarm's suggestion, you split up to question the residents of Bahrr Lehs regarding aught they may have seen or heard.
- A Temple Knight with a disturbingly nonchalant attitude to these troublesome developments informs you that the masked man had personally asked him where he might find a dragon of particular puissance, in response to which the hapless fool unwittingly volunteered his knowledge of Gullinbursti. The full implications of this remain a mystery, but mayhap the deftarm has gleaned some new information that will serve to shed light on the whole affair.
- The deftarm is not entirely sure what to make of the testimony you gathered, but reveals that in the meantime he has learned that your quarry has already moved on from the Churning Mists. He proposes that you return to the surface together, and seek the wisdom of the storyteller at Loth ast Vath before continuing on in your pursuit.
- You make your way to Loth ast Vath, but the deftarm is nowhere to be seen. While confident that your pupil has not been led astray by the whispers of the Onemind as he had in the past, the storyteller nevertheless fears for his fellow Vath's safety. You strike out for the hinterlands with the hope that nothing dire has befallen your friend.
- You sigh in relief to see that the deftarm is safe, and had merely taken a detour to rescue the goblin lass Drydox from an ambush by the Onemind. Your loyal apprentice bears troubling news, however, as he relates that the assailants set upon the girl with a cruel, crazed savagery entirely uncharacteristic of the highly regimented Gnath. When Drydox then reveals that she heard gunshots shortly prior to the attack, the deftarm makes the obvious connection: the masked man responsible for Gullinbursti's madness is surely close at hand. Identifying his destination as the forest, you plot a course for Tailfeather to consult with the hunter Marcechamp.
- Marcechamp, much to his own chagrin, is keenly familiar with the masked man you pursue. He explains that he is an adventurer of ill repute and renown, known far and wide for accepting all manner of nefarious assignments and seeing them through with lethal precision. When the deftarm restates his resolve, undeterred by these grave warnings, the hunter relents and shares his knowledge of your quarry's whereabouts. Promising your determined pupil that you will only intercede if absolutely necessary, together you strike out for the Convictory in the western highlands of Coerthas.
- You arrive at the Convictory to see that Jantellot, too, has had an inopportune encounter with the notorious masked marauder, having lost his prized manacutter─and very nearly, one of his prized men─at the villain's hand. While making it clear that this is not an opponent to be trifled with, he does not begrudge you information regarding where the man might be found, in hopes that you and the deftarm might be able to bring the man to justice. In the face of increasingly worrisome reports on the masked man and the full threat that he poses, your apprentice remains undaunted, and as his master, you resolve to stick by his side until the job is through.